Gluten-Free & Vegan Coconut Flour Banana Bread Squares
Updated: Jan 14
Gluten free flours are expensive regardless, but grain free flours even more so (almond flour runs $9.99/lb). One of the cheapest and easiest to buy in bulk is coconut flour. However, if you have ever attempted to bake with only coconut flour- it can turn disastrous quite quickly. Between it's super absorbent texture and dry taste, it can be really tricky to get just right. Throw in making without eggs and, well, there's a prickly headache. Enter me and my prior prickly headaches, but...Jimbo, I've cracked the code! Before you toss in the towel, run up the grocery bill to mix and match various grain-free flours, or swear off trying to bake anything of a similar nature every again....here you go :)
-1/2 cup coconut flour
-4 flax eggs (1tbs flax meal + 3tbs water = 1 flax egg)
-2 mashed ripe bananas
-1tsp baking powder
-1/4 cup melted coconut oil
+optional: scoop of collagen powder (I like a vanilla flavored one)
+optional: handful of blueberries, walnuts, chocolate chips, coconut shreds...
1) Preheat oven to 400F
2) In a small bowl, mix 2tbs of flax meal and 6tbs of water to make flax eggs. Set aside & let congeal for a hot sec.
3) Mix coconut flour, bananas, vanilla, and baking powder. Mix in flax egg mixture. Stir in coconut oil, making sure all ingredients are coated and there is an even texture throughout.
4) Transfer mixture to 9x5ish loaf pan and put in oven
5) Bake for 15min. Take out, cover with aluminum foil & bake for another 10min.
6) Take out & stick a knife or toothpick in the center of the loaf- comes out clean=done! (If not, increase bake time in increments of 5min until that toothpick is clean)
7) Let cool (about 45min). Snag a slice, slather it with your fav. jam, dunk it in a cup of coffee or tea, or just smash it down straight away.